Return in the time of quarantine

I am cooking up a study on migrant returnees and return migration, and I thought it's an opportune time to look at it in terms of how the pandemic has affected migrant returns. There's this preliminary study made by Ang and Opiniano (2020) under Ateneo (i think), and it touched on an impending crisis. But being a people person that I am, I thought I would like to gather data from the returnees themselves, and more than that-- insights on return. I thought this experience has made them experience return, and has given them a glimpse of their life upon return. I wanted to look at it in a timeline, a sort of pre-/ during/ post- process. I mean these are extraordinary times, but one has to document a sort-of pessimistic scenario, don't you think? Besides, it makes you curious about the thought process involved. Has the pandemic affected their decision making for the future? In what sense (ie have they thought about getting insurance, investments (what types), etc)?

These insights can be useful in policy making, as there needs to be a more strategic approach towards return migration. Should these overseas workers decide to come home en masse, the government has to have a long term plan to reintegrate them. A poor country can't afford to welcome back more people to support, like it would to a bulk of its population. A successful return program can be vital in the economy as it can spur new industries and knowledge capital.

---00---

In other news...

Plants, plants, plants!












My good friend P in Bangkok posted this 'undergrowth' she found when she was replanting this bad boy and I spent a good 20 mins with Lolly today taking about it. Plantita much? There's just this one time I messaged Lolly about a business venture and lo and behold--she's got similar plans. on plants. It just feels amazeballs. I am not a plant person, you see. I just had a better appreciation of it the past few years. When I had kids, I think. Well, when I had that time to think about other things aside from my kids.


This is major revelation for me, because never have I ever given houseplants any thoughts. I am too busy, we killed our first three pots in Manda (then again it must be the pollution. i relocated them from Amadeo to our high-rise balcony along EDSA, duh)-- so no. But I am also a person who likes these natural subtleties of I don't know, fresh air I guess?




I am a late bloomer then (pun-ny). And with baby steps I am finding my way through. I categorise myself as a curious and thoughtful (maybe overthinking) plant person. I have a long way to go, but I am excited so yaaas. Let's do this.

I am writing this down, in case I forget:

1. Eatery garden for my farm to table and deli venture:
-must have protein derivatives like mushrooms and soy
2. Herbs and micro greens
3. Deli with coffee shop, ala- da Paolo
4. White, colonial house

---oo---









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Inner rockstar

My birth story

me, now.